Monday 16 January 2012

The time I considered buying an Apple iMac

People who know me may think that I am anti-apple. (is it true?- I might talk about this another time..)
But believe it or not, I did once consider buying an apple iMac. And it wasn't even that long ago.
Just last year!





I was looking for a new desktop to replace my old flailing one. Actually, I just needed to upgrade to play Starcraft 2. My old desktop was > 7 years old ( which is about 700 y.o by computer age ) and ran Athlon Xp 1700. ( If' you're asking how I survived, I do have a laptop with is just a bit faster).


Anyway, I stepped in Dick Smith to see what they had to offer.. they sometime have good offers. Mostly I was checking out the CPUs and the specs.
Then I saw the iMacs.. hmm.. they look nice, and they wont take up too much space( No CPU case) .
Then I though to myself.. why not? Hmm.. wonder why I didn't consider them before?
As I browsed the iMacs, I remembered why I never bought a Mac.
The ones on display had much inferior specs to what I was looking for but cost a lot more!
All I could say to Apple then was " you  %$#^&^ " 

So, that was the end of my "fling" with the iMac, it lasted about 3 minutes.

I can't remember the exact specs that I saw but I do remember the anger I felt.
Anyway, I had a look at current prices of 2 similar spec machine, I used Dell Vs iMac.
( current to 3 Jan 2012)

 The font looks a bit odd, but I cut and pasted it from the respective websites..

Package 1

 DELL XPS8300

NZ $1899.00
 




















PROCESSOR2nd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 Processor (3.0GHz, 6MB cache)
OPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows(R) 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit (English)
WARRANTY & SERVICE1 Year In-Home Service with Premium Phone Support
SECURITY SOFTWAREMcAfee® SecurityCenter™ (Multi-Language) - 15 Months
MONITORDell ST2320L 23''W Full HD Monitor with LED
MEMORY8GB (4X2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz Memory
HARD DRIVE2TB (1TBx2) SATA RAID 0 (Data Striping)
OPTICAL DRIVESingle Drive:16X DVD+/-RW with Dual Layer Write
VIDEO CARD1GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ HD 6770
SOUND CARDIntegrated high definition 7.1 channel audio
Accessorise My Dell
SOFTWAREMicrosoft® Office Starter 2010: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook.
KEYBOARDDell™ Studio™ Multimedia Keyboard Black
MOUSEDell™ Laser Mouse






Package 2 


APPLE iMac 21.5 inch
NZ$ 3,068.99  ( what's with the 99 cents? )
Product Image
 21.5 inch iMAc
2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5





  • 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB










  • 2TB Serial ATA Drive










  • AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB GDDR5










  • Apple Magic Mouse










  • Apple Wireless Keyboard (International English) and User Guide (English)









  • There are some spec differences with the above 2 machines, mostly in favour of the Dell.
    You can figure out yourself.
    I really didn't wanna pay  >$1000 extra for something that looks nice and saves a bit of space.

    The main difference is prob Mac running OSX vs Windows 7 on the Dell.
    But, seriously, Windows 7 is fine!

    Yes yes..  you'll saying but it's a freaking DELL vs an APPLE!!!

    True.. but no one online will care what you brand is when
    " Your computer is slowing the game down " shows up..


    "BUT WAIT! There is an Apple Magic Mouse!!!"

    ... Hmm.... I'll see you on Battlenet ..



    BTW, I didn't buy a Dell  but customized a desktop from a local dealer (even lower cost!)

    In this case, the Apple has managed to keep the doctor away for another day..


    NB: Please don't stop buying Apple products because of my post, with your continued patronage, the chinese Apple factory line worker may one day be able to afford a Dell.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment